As part of ARRCC's campaign to encourage people of faith to consider reducing the amount of eat they consume, we are running a series of Meat-Free Cooking Workshops.
The workshops will be participatory and hands-on, with participants being able to get in there and make many of the meals, under the guidance of our expert, volunteer chefs. At the end of the workshop, everyone gets to sit down together to share the meal and enjoy the fruits of their labours.
George Vlamakis, one of our cooking demonstrators, says that one of the barriers to people eating less meat is that they don’t know how to cook good vegetarian food: “Vegetarian food is not about taking the meat out and leaving everything else the same. It's about using really fresh ingredients in fun and creative ways to make delicious and filling meals.”
You can download copies of the recipe books followed in the workshops to try them out yourself!
|Meat Free Recipes||Healthy Winter Cooking||Celebration of Summer||Mediterranean Feast|
- None currently scheduled
ARRCC is looking to hold more workshops all around Australia. If you'd like to see a workshop in your local area, please contact us and we'll see what we can do! We're also keen to work with faith communities who would like to host workshops.
In fact, we are actually looking for volunteers who have a passion for cooking and are interested in the idea of meat-free meals to be trained as cooking demonstrators for our workshops.
We'd eventually like a team of demonstrators across all capital cities around Australia as well as in any regional centres. Demonstrators have a great time sharing their love of cooking with others, and we set aside any profit from workshop registration fees to go to demonstrators as a thank you. If you're interested in finding out more please contact us!
Western Sydney series:
A series of six cooking workshops run by ARRCC Cooking Demonstrator Ling Halbert in the Parramatta (Greater Western Sydney) area, partly funded by a grant from Parramatta Council.
- March 2015 at Parramatta Art Studio
- March 2015 at Sorrell Lane Community Garden
- July 2014 at Granville Men's Shed
- June 2014 at Parramatta Art Studio
- May 2014 at Harris Park Community Centre
- October 2013 at Nan Tien Vihara Temple
- November 2013 at Granville Men's Shed
Separate from the Western Sydney series were:
- September 2013 at Woolloomooloo, Sydney - Organic cookup. Our third workshop held in conjunction with Juanita Nielsen Community Centre, run by ARRCC cooking demonstrator Ling Halbert.
- August 2013 at St John's Anglican Church, Dee Why: Organised by interested members of St John's Anglican Church, run by ARRCC cooking demonstrator Ling Halbert.
- June 2013 at Woolloomooloo, Sydney -Healthy Winter Cooking. A two-day cooking workshop run over consecutive Saturdays in partnership with Juanita Nielsen Community Centre, again with Ling Halbert.
- October 2012 in Woolloomooloo, Sydney - Summer Celebration. Held in partnership with Juanita Nielsen Community Centre, 10 people took part in the cooking workshop run by ARRCC cooking demonstrator, George Vlamakis.
- June 2012 in Parramatta - ARRCC's second meat-free cooking workshop was held at at Paramatta Mission with ARRCC Cooking Demonstrator Ling Halbert.
- May 2011 in Bondi, NSW - Mediterranean Feast. Our first workshop was held in Sydney on the 29th May, with more than 10 people coming together to make 10 different meat-free meals! Thanks to ARRCC cooking demonstrator, George Vlamakis and Devin Gibson.